Posted on Wednesday, January 22nd, 2014 at 4:11 am
U.S. District Court Judge Alan Johnson and a jury in a federal court in Cheyenne, Wyoming awarded $28.2 million to a woman poisoned by carbon monoxide in her apartment.
The now 23-year-old Amber Lompe incurred a permanent brain injury that makes it hard for her to retain information, concentrate on things around her, focus her attention, and multi-task due to being poisoned by carbon monoxide coming from her apartment furnace in 2011.
Newport Beach, California-based Sunridge Partners LLC and Salt Lake City-based Apartment Management Consultants LLC were ordered to pay $750,000 in compensatory damages and $3 million in punitive damages, and $1.95 million in compensatory damages and $22.5 million in punitive damages, respectively.
According to documents uncovered by Lompe’s attorney, Tyson Logan, Sunridge’s owner and manager did not take action after receiving warnings that the broken furnace could be dangerous to the apartment’s inhabitants and proceeded to remove the unit after the said poisoning in 2011.
At Jessica Rutzick & Associates, P.C., we offer our legal services to people who have suffered injury or illness due to the negligence of other people. To discuss your case or clarify any questions or concerns you may have, contact our attorneys by calling us at (307) 733-8140 today.